Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Outrage Epidemic

I have not been able to post anything for almost a whole week. I've been keeping up with things, but there have been a couple of days in the past week when I have forbidden myself to even read a blog or sit through a whole night of Countdown with Keith Olbermann. I have also sat down a couple of times to post something but have just been completely overwhelmed with the urge to shut myself in the basement and scream until my vocal chords suffer permanent damage. Yes, I know there is no excuse for this, but I have had a bad flare up of outrage fatigue. This is a chronic condition and has become somewhat of an epidemic, so I wanted to share some of the ways that I have dealt with this problem over the past week.

The important thing is not to completely shut down, hence no total outrage blackout. However, a day or two of obliviousness has been necessary for me and I think has allowed me to get it under control more quickly than I otherwise would have. However, the most effective way that I have dealt with my flare up of outrage fatigue is by taking some time to drink...a lot...spend more time with my friends and focus on some personal stuff. Oh, and of course, I should be a little more specific about the drinking therapy--the vodka shots chased with beer and the giant bottle of cheap wine early on a Sunday afternoon were especially good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Remember when you asked me "why is nobody outraged?" when the president first (and I use that term very loosely) began to show the public that he and his administration are just pimps and we're their hos - I say that because a ho never asks their pimp why they have to do something and the pimp would just bitchslap them anyway if they did have the audacity to question him - and that there is not a lot of hardcore senseful reason we're to this day in Iraq? Well you just mentioned why. If pretty much all of the American Public is drowning their doubts away in alcohol and shrugging their concerns with the administration by focusing on themselves than there's no reason you can't live a full and happy albeit oblivious and ignorant life in this here country, the land of the free.
America right now is like suburbia - we all know Georgie hid some guy's body in the back of his house and then had a barbeque the following weekend but we just instead focus on how nice his landscapping is and how great the ribs taste!
~Jules